Crossovers, trees and verges


A crossover is the section of a driveway between a property boundary and the road. The landowner is responsible for the construction and maintenance of a crossover. 


Before starting work, read Specifications for the construction of a standard vehicle crossover.

If your crossover cannot meet these specifications, contact us to discuss an alternative solution prior construction.

Applying for a subsidy

Once your crossover is complete you can apply for a subsidy, provided construction meets the required specifications.

A subsidy payment is 50 per cent of the works value or a maximum of $250.

For example:

  • If your crossover costs $300, you can be subsidised $150 (50 per cent).
  • If your crossover costs $1,000, you are eligible for $250 maximum.

Applications must be made within six months of construction and be accompanied by contractor receipt, proof of payment (invoice or delivery docket) or proof of costs if self-constructed.

Complete the online application form or download. Online forms are submitted directly via this website. If you download the application form, please print and complete the form, returning it the Shire by post or in person.

Note: If the works were completed by a contractor, the online application form will require their signature to confirm the crossover has been constructed in accordance with Shire standards and specifications.


We are responsible for controlling the development of street verges and the provision and maintenance of street trees. 

Visit our dedicated page about trees for more information regarding tree maintenance and removal, and to request a tree. 



A verge is the area of land that lies between the road and your property’s boundary. Verges are part of the road reserve and are set aside for public utilities, including gas and water, paths and street trees.

Also see Adopt a Verge for information on verge management.

Who should maintain a verge?

Property owner responsibilities 

You are responsible for maintaining the verge at the front or side of your property, including any improvement works to enhance your property’s aesthetics.

Shire of Murray responsibilities

We are responsible for controlling the development of street verges and the provision and maintenance of street trees. We are also responsible for verge maintenance adjacent to our buildings, parks and reserves.


We may inspect verges to ensure treatments are installed and maintained to the Verge Guidelines.


Should a verge treatment not comply, or has otherwise been deemed a safety hazard, we may require the property owner to make changes. Should these changes not be made, we may complete the works at the property owners’ cost.

Works in the verge

We, and any other authority empowered to do so such as utility service providers including gas, water, electricity and fire services, may need to periodically excavate in a verge. These organisations are not liable to compensate any person for that disturbance nor replace any verge treatment because of such works. 

Do I need approval to landscape my verge?

Generally, approval is not required when laying lawn, installing retic or for landscaping that incorporates low shrubs and groundcovers, mulch, organic and other surface treatments such as gravel aggregates, kerbs and rocks. 

However, the installation must meet the Shire's Verge Guidelines.

Approval is required prior to the installation of hardscape treatments including concrete, asphalt/bitumen and paving.

Apply now

Rebates for waterwise verges

The Waterwise Adopt a Verge program encourages residents to establish waterwise verge gardens and offers rebates for doing so.

Why Adopt a Verge

  • Reduce water consumption and associated water bills.
  • Greener streets and improved streetscapes.
  • Provide habitat and nature links for wildlife, increasing local biodiversity.
  • Improved air quality.
  • Reduce stormwater runoff into rivers and waterways.
  • Create a cooling effect and reduce temperatures and the ‘heat island effect’ during summer.
  • Improve streetscape amenity.
  • Connect people to nature.
  • Promote safer and more comfortable walking environments.
  • Improved mental health and wellbeing.

    Learn how