Livestock and Horses

Planning approval is required to keep livestock including horses, on any rural residential or special residential lot, as well as for the development of buildings associated with the keeping of livestock. Applications may require the submission of a Stock Management Plan or an Equine Management Plan.

When keeping livestock, please consider if stocking and other land management practices do not further add to land degradation and amenity issues within Murray.

Keep livestock

Keeping of livestock in the Shire of Murray must be in accordance with the carrying capacity of the land and in a way that:

  1. Prevents soil erosion and land degradation
  2. Protects native vegetation and wetlands from damage
  3. Protects ground water and waterways from pollution
  4. Does not result in adverse amenity impacts, particularly relating to dust, odour, noise and fly and rodent control
  5. Demonstrates compliance with SPP 2.1 within the Swan Coastal Plain Catchment of the Peel-Harvey
  6. Ensures the welfare of the animals.

Adequate natural shelter or stabling (compliant with the requirements of the building code) must be provided. Owners must ensure shelters are maintained in a clean and hygienic condition, free of flies, vermin and vectors of disease.

Keeping of livestock is subject to:

  • Land size and zoning
  • Soil type
  • Quantity and type of stock
  • Environmental implications and management
  • Animal welfare considerations
  • Planning approval.

When keeping stock, the Shire requires the following:

  • Stock be located at least 50 metres from a natural river, waterway, lake, conservation category or resource enhancement wetland
  • Stock be located least 30 metres from drainage line, private water supply bores or dam
  • Stock be located least 15 metres from a dwelling house, public building or premises where people are employed or where food is stored, prepared, manufactured or sold
  • Stock be located outside an area recognised as being flood prone or subject to seasonal inundation
  • Stock be located outside of areas with a slope of greater than 10%
  • Stock be located outside of areas containing remnant native vegetation or re-vegetation
  • Individual trees located within a yard area are to be protected from damage from livestock if deemed necessary
  • Stables for horses to be enclosed on a minimum of 3 sides with either a hardstand concrete or 300mm of crushed limestone base
  • All horse manure be stored in a sealed container and disposed of off-site.

Register livestock

In most cases, livestock owners are required to register as an owner with the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.

Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development

Irrigate paddocks

If you intend to irrigate paddocks for stock, you will be required to obtain a water licence for stocking purposes from the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation. You must supply a copy of this to the Shire when submitting your application to keep livestock. 

Water licensing

Useful links

Local Planning Policy - Keeping of Livestock in Rural Residential Areas

Stocking Rate Guidelines for rural small holdings

Equine Management Plan Example

Stock Management Plan Example

Ownership registration

Movement and identification

Shire of Murray Health Local Law

Animal Welfare Act

Environmental Protection Act