Building Permit

A building permit is written approval that building work can be undertaken according to approved plans, specifications and conditions. 

Find out the process of lodging a request for a building permit here. 

Step 1 - Determine if you need a building permit 

A building permit is generally required for building work; however, exceptions apply.

Buildings exempt from building permits

Step 2 - Complete an application form

Certified application

A certified application is mandatory for Class 2-9 buildings e.g. shops, warehouses, offices.

The plans and specifications for the proposed structure are assessed for compliance with the National Construction Code (NCC) by a registered private building surveyor who will also issue a Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC). 

You will need to engage a registered private building surveyor to complete a Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC) before submitting a building permit application to us. 

Certified BA1 application form

Uncertified application

An uncertified application can be used for Class 1 buildings e.g. dwellings and Class 10 structures (non-inhabitable) e.g. sheds, patios, swimming pools etc. 

The plans and specifications will be assessed by the Shire’s Registered Building Surveyor for compliance with the NCC and issue a CDC.

An uncertified application is submitted directly to us. The information and documentation lodged with the application will be assessed by a Registered Building Surveyor employed by the Shire.

Uncertified BA2 application form

Step 3 - Gather supporting documents

Our checklists and fact sheets will help you prepare your application:

Checklist Certified Application

Checklist Uncertified Application

Sheds, Garages and Workshops

Patios, Verandahs, Gazebos and Pergolas

Retaining Walls

Swimming Pools, Spas

Rules for Pools and Spas - Department of Mines, Industry, Regulation and Safety

Swimming Pools and Spa Barrier Requirements

Park Homes and Annexes

Conversion to a Habitable Room

Step 4 - Submit your application

Your full application (including a complete form and supporting documents) can be submitted: 

In person: Administration Office at 1915 Pinjarra Road, Pinjarra

Post: PO Box 21, Pinjarra, WA, 6208 


Step 5 - Make payment 

If you are submitting your application in person, please bring payment with you.

If you are submitting your application electronically, we will contact you to arrange payment once your application has been registered. 

Fees and charges

Step 6 - Shire assessment 

We determine certified applications in 10 working days. If additional information is required we will contact you and continue to process your application once the information is received. 

Uncertified applications are determined within 25 working days.

If additional information is required, we will contact you and continue to process your application once the information is received. 

We will return your permit to you via email or post.

Step 7 - Works complete

A notice of completion as well as relevant inspection or test certificates must be provided to us within seven days of completion of building works.

The permit will specify what inspections or tests need to be undertaken. 

For Classes 2 to 9 an occupancy certificate (BA9) is required prior to occupation of the building.

Step 8 - Occupancy certificate

For Classes 2 to 9 an occupancy certificate (BA9) is required prior to occupation of the building.

This includes:

  • Occupying a completed new building or a new part of an existing building
  • Occupying an incomplete building or part of a building on a temporary basis
  • Modifying the current occupancy permit for additional use of a building on a temporary basis
  • Occupying a building or part of a building that has undergone a permanent change of use or classification
  • Authorising and occupying an unauthorised building or an unauthorised part of a building
  • Authorising a building with existing approval with a new or replacement occupancy permit – this demonstrates that an existing building complies with the relevant building standards and is safe to occupy.

Please submit the following with your application:

  • Certificate of construction compliance (BA17) for new buildings including new additions to existing buildings or a certificate of building compliance (BA18) for existing buildings, signed by a building surveyor
  • Written evidence of the following as relevant to the building or structure:
    • An approval required under the Health Act 1911 section 107(2)(a) or (b)
    • An approval required under the Planning and Development Act 2005
    • An approval required under the Health (Aquatic Facilities) Regulations 2007 Part 2 Division 1
    • An approval required under the Local Government (Uniform Local Provisions) Regulations 1996 regulation 12(2)
  • Evidence of consent(s) from each affected owner where work encroaches onto or adversely impacts other land (if applicable
  • Payment of fee and levy (if applicable).

A copy of the occupancy permit must be displayed at or near the principal entrance to the building so that it is clearly visible to people using the building.

Fees and charges

Frequently asked questions

Are my Fees Refunded if my Application is Refused?


Change of builder or contractor details

The builder or contractor named on the permit must complete a notice of cessation (BA8) and submit the form to us via email, in person or post.

The owner of the building/structure will then need to advise us in writing for approval of a new responsible person to undertake the work approved under the permit.

Please submit the request to us in writing and include:

  • Property address
  • Building or demolition permit number
  • Owner details
  • Contact details of the new responsible person
  • New builder’s registration number (if applicable) or demolition contractor’s Worksafe licence number
  • Owner-builder approval number (if applicable)
  • Signature of the new builder or contractor.

The permit will be suspended from the receipt of the notice of cessation until the new responsible person is approved.

No fee applies.

Do I need home indemnity insurance?

This is required for residential building work exceeding $20,000 in value. Owners should ensure that builders/contractors have a valid insurance policy in place.

What if there are variations during construction?

If variations affect compliance with the building standards a certificate of design compliance (BA3) and a new building permit may be required. Fees apply.

The new building permit may cover only the changes, as the existing permit covers the other works. 

If there are substantial changes or variations, a new building permit may be required. This ensures that an accurate building record is maintained.

Please contact us to discuss. 

What is the duration of a building permit? 

We set the validity of a permit depending on the circumstance. If this is not set out in the permit, the default is two years.

If a project takes longer than expected an application to extend the permit (BA22) can be submitted to us via the methods specified above. Fees apply.