Temporary Accommodation Application

Environmental Health approval is required to occupy temporary accommodation, including a shed or caravan.

Approval will be granted where approval to construct a permanent dwelling on the site has been obtained.

Approval will be granted for a period of up to 12 months.

Forms of Temporary Accommodation that will be Considered for Approval

  • A caravan in accordance with the Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Regulations 1997 for a period up to 12 months for the purpose of constructing a dwelling (to be housed inside or behind a shed)
  • A Class 10 Building (shed) for which a building permit (insert link) has been issued AND an approval to occupy the Class 10 Building (shed) as Temporary Accommodation is issued under section 144 of the Health Act 1911 for a period up to 12 months for the purpose of facilitating the construction of a dwelling

Zoning Considerations

Approval will only be considered on land zoned:

  • Rural
  • Special Rural
  • Farmlet
  • Hills Landscape Protection
  • Or other similar rural-residential zones

Plan and Seek Approval for the Establishment of an Effluent Disposal System on Site

Applications and installations are usually arranged by specialised contractors.

See our Effluent Disposal System Application page for information

Prepare Supporting Information

Site Plan (two copies required) showing:

  • Location and setback distances for all development (eg: dwelling, outbuildings, effluent disposal)
  • Setbacks for temporary accommodation are the same as those prescribed for buildings within that zoning, as determined by the Town Planning Scheme
  • Location of natural features (contours, waters courses)

Floor Plan (two copies required) showing:

  • Location of kitchen, bathroom, toilet and laundry facilities

Complete and Submit the Temporary Accommodation Form


Complete our online Temporary Accommodation Application form.

Application Fee: $500

Renewal Fee: $164

An invoice will be issued once your application has been processed. The invoice can be paid online or in person at the Shire’s Administration Office.

In Person:

Download the Temporary Accommodation Application form.

Prepare your payment:

Application Fee: $500

Renewal Fee: $164

Cash, card, cheques and money orders are accepted.

Visit us with the completed form and payment:

Shire of Murray Administration Office, 1915 Pinjarra Road, Pinjarra 6208  View Map

Sunday Closed
Monday 8:30AM-4:30PM
Tuesday 8:30AM-4:30PM
Wednesday 8:30AM-4:30PM
Thursday 8:30AM-4:30PM
Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM
Saturday Closed

By Post:

Download the Temporary Accommodation Application form

Prepare your payment:

Application Fee: $500

Renewal Fee: $164

Cheques and money orders are accepted.

Post your completed application form, copies of your supporting documents and payment to:

PO Box 21, Pinjarra WA 6208

Application Processing and Approval

We will contact you should we require any further information and should all conditions be satisfactorily met, we will issue approval.

Can I Apply for an Extension?

Approval may be extended for up to a further 12 months, but only if substantial progress has been made on the construction of the dwelling. To apply, please follow steps three and four above.