The Copper Kettle Tea Rooms opened in 1936. Originally called the ‘Central Tea Rooms,’ it became a popular stopover for holidaymakers and travellers to the South West. The tea rooms were ideally placed to capture the rising numbers of day trippers travelling in the new form of transport, the car.
Established by sisters Gwen and Pam, from the pioneering Fawcett family, and progeny of Captain T. Fawcett, it was a popular place for the local to meet and chat.
The Copper Kettle was a popular meeting spot for community groups and organisations, including the Pinjarra unit of the Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC).
The Volunteer Defence Corps
The VDC was formed soon after the outbreak of World War 2 and comprised of returned servicemen too old to fight, invalid servicemen recently returned from fighting in Europe and Asia and civilians who wanted to help with homeland defence in the case of full scale invasion. Thankfully, their services were never required.
Captain Theodore Fawcett
Fawcett migrated to the colony in the 1850s after inheriting land in the Murray District on the death of his father. Setting up a homestead, Pinjarrah Park Estate on the east side of the river along Pinjarra-Williams Road, Fawcett was industrious, working a pastoral lease near Marradong, a small shop and flour mill from Pinjarrah Park as well as producing large quantities of wine and brandy.
Fawcett also created the Pinjarrah Mounted Volunteers (PMV) in 1862. The PMV was a local reservist mounted force to provide some measure of defence after the partial withdrawal of Imperial forces from the Swan River Colony and absence of any formal police force at the time.
Captain Theodore Fawcett is commemorated in a popular 4WD track which runs through Lane Poole Reserve near Dwellingup, up through Marradong and past the Fawcett farm, Mokine, ending at Quindanning.
Further information about the Captain Fawcett Commemorative 4WD Track can be found: http://www.dwellingupwa.com.au/maps-trails/captain-fawcett-4wd-track