Important Christmas Waste and Recycling Collections
Everyone deserves a wheelie good Christmas, that’s why the collection days for waste and recycling bins throughout the Christmas period have been rescheduled. Check out the collection changes below:
|Usual Collection Day||Rescheduled Collection Day|
|Wednesday 25 December||Thursday 26 December|
|Thursday 26 December||Friday 27 December|
|Friday 27 December||Saturday 28 December|
Normal service will resume from Monday 30 December, 2019.
Please note: Transfer Stations closed Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Shire of Murray: 08 9231 7777 | Cleanaway: 08 9550 4744
Bin Day by Area
|North Yunderup, Furnissdale, Barragup, Pinjarra Road (from Serpentine River to Tonkin Drive), Ravenswood, Murray Bend||Monday|
|Coolup, Point Grey, Birchmont, West Coolup and Herron Point, East Coolup, Dwellingup, Meelon, Greenlands Road (from SW Highway), Carrabungup Road (continuing from Greenlands Rd), Paterson Road (from SW Hwy to Old Mandurah Rd), Canterbury Downs, Old Sarum Estate, Settlers Village, Corio Road, Old Mandurah Road||Tuesday|
|South Yunderup¸ Thomasfield Place||Wednesday|
|Pinjarra Townsite, West Pinjarra, Beacham Road, Curtis Lane, Moores Road, Pinjarra Road (from SW Highway to Tonkin drive), Pinjarra Industrial Area||Thursday|
|North Pinjarra, South West Highway (nth of North Pinjarra), Fairbridge, Morrell Road, Wades Road, North Dandalup, Yamba, Hines Road, Nambeelup, Stake Hill, Lakelands (off Lakes Road)¸ Lakes Road, Paterson Road (nth of Old Mandurah Road), Del Park Road||Friday|
- Place your bins on the verge by 6.00am on the day of your collection
- Place your bins at least half a metre apart with the wheels facing your property and within one (1) metre of the road
- Place bins away from cars, trees, power poles and other obstructions
General Waste Bin
- Emptied weekly on the designated collection day for your area
- Freeze odorous waste and place into the bin the night before collection
- Ensure the lid is closed and the bin weighs less than 70kg
- Place lawn clippings into a bag to prevent jamming in the bin
- Return bins to your property as soon as possible after emptying
The following items are NOT to be placed in your general waste bin:
- Oil or liquids
- Hot ashes
- Bricks and concrete
The following can be placed in the collection bins at the Murray Library Forrest Street, Pinjarra and they will be sent away for recycling:
- Dry cell household batteries
- Ink cartridges
- Mobile phones and accessories
Residents who have a 240L recycle bin have the option to upgrade to a 360L recycle bin. There is a one-off fee of $40.00 to upgrade and payment is required prior to the changeover, however, there is no additional ongoing cost to have the upgraded bin.
To arrange an upgrade, please download the Application for Upgrade to 360L Recycle Bin or contact the Shire on (08) 9531 7777.
Emptied every second week on your normal rubbish collection day. Place items loose in the recycling bin – not in plastic bags.
The following items belong in your yellow lid recycling bin:
- Aluminum and steel cans – clean and empty
- Plastic bottles and containers – lids off, clean and empty
- Paper – excluding shredded paper
- Glass bottles and jars – lids off, clean and empty
- Cardboard – flattened
Waste and recycling collections will occur on all public holidays (excluding Christmas).
Cleanaway is the Shire of Murray’s contractor for the provision of waste and recycling collections.
The following do not belong in your yellow lid recycling bin:
- Rope, cable and hose
- Hazardous waste
- Needles and syringes
- Flexible plastics
- Food contaminated items
- Shredded paper
With the focus on recycling correctly and reducing contamination in the recycle bin, the program involves a quick visual inspection of the bin contents at the kerbside prior to collection.
Based on the inspection, feedback will be provided to residents by a sticker placed on the bin.
The Shire of Murray thanks the community for their enthusiasm and attitude towards recycling – together we can work towards a more sustainable future.
The Shire of Murray provides two green waste and one hard waste verge collection per annum.
- Place your waste on your own verge by Monday 6.00am BUT no earlier than seven days prior to the scheduled start date for your area
- Allow 5 – 7 days for your collection
- Do not obstruct the footpath, your normal bin service or the line of sight of pedestrians, cyclists and cars
- Do not place your waste next to structures or obstructions such as letter boxes, walls, power poles or sprinklers
- Verge collections are provided to residential properties which receive a weekly bin service
- Litter infringement notices may be issued for non-compliance with collection guidelines or where waste is placed on the verge more than seven days prior to the scheduled start date for each area.
- Waste will not be collected from vacant properties or public reserves
- Place your green waste into a neat pile on your verge with the cut ends towards the street the equivalent of two 6’ x 4’ trailer loads or three cubic metres only. Excess waste will not be removed
- Do not bundle or tie your green waste
- Do not present your green waste in plastic bags or boxes
Permitted: Tree and shrub prunings up to 1.5m with trunks up to 0.3m in diameter
Prohibited: Lawn clippings, loose leaves, stumps, palm logs, weeds, root material, general rubbish or whitegoods
- Place bulk rubbish in two separate piles the equivalent of two 6’ x 4’ trailer loads or three cubic metres only. Excess waste will not be removed
- Doors must be removed from fridges and freezers
Permitted: Whitegoods, scrap metal, bed frames, lounges, cupboards, furniture and materials less than 1.5m long
Prohibited: Tyres, batteries, car bodies or parts, green waste, asbestos, building rubble, hazardous waste or glass
Please note: the truck collecting whitegoods and metal products is a separate truck from the general junk collection vehicle
Waste Transfer Stations
The Shire of Murray operates two Waste Transfer Stations:
834 Corio Road, Ravenswood – enquiries 0435 907 214
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 9.00am – 5.00pm
Holyoake Road (off Pinjarra-Williams Road), Dwellingup
Wednesday and Friday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 1.00pm – 5.00pm
The following items are recyclable and are accepted free of charge:
- Household recyclables
- Engine oil (up to 20 litres)
- Scrap metal
- Paper and cardboard
- Car batteries
- Gas bottles
Corio Road – drumMUSTER collection site
Note: Closed Good Friday, New Year’s Day and Christmas Day
Residents of the Shire of Murray who own or rent a residential property receiving a weekly waste service are eligible for free access to either of the Shire’s Transfer Stations.
The free access is restricted to household quantities and is administered by a property identification pass for ratepayers and residents to access either facility.
The identification pass will be sent annually attached to the Rates notice. Residents who rent a property will be able to collect an identification pass from the Shire’s Administration Office upon providing proof of their residence (i.e. drivers licence or utility bill no older than three months).
Residents of properties that do not receive a weekly waste service will be entitled to purchase an identification pass by providing proof of residence as above.
Conditions of Free Access
- Pass must be presented to gate attendant – no pass, no free access
- Pass is not transferable as it contains specific information about each property
- Pass entitles the holder to dispose of up to 1.5 m³ per visit of general or green waste from their own property free of charge
- Loads larger than 1.5m³ will incur the appropriate fee and loads larger than 3m³ will not be accepted
- Maximum of four tyres (passenger/motorcycle/4WD) per entry
- Loads to be segregated and unloaded as directed by the gate attendant
- Pass will not be accepted for the disposal of any type of waste from small or commercial business operators – standard gate fees will apply
There are a number of hazardous chemicals and materials in your home which must not go into either of your kerbside collection bins. If these items are not properly disposed of, they can cause harm to your family, pets or the environment.
The HHW Program is funded by the Waste Authority through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account and provides for the collection and appropriate disposal of HHW from 13 permanent facilities in WA.
Under the HHW Program Shire of Murray residents are safely able to dispose of up to 20 litres or 20 kilograms of HHW per day free of charge at City of Mandurah Waste Management Centre 80 Corsican Place Parklands.
Asbestos is NOT accepted at either Transfer Station but can be disposed of at the following facilities:
- City of Mandurah Waste Management Centre (08 9582 0147)
- Shire of Waroona Buller Road Refuse Site (0409 374 153 )
- City of Rockingham Millar Road Landfill (08 9528 8550)
Fees will apply. Please contact the relevant facility prior to disposal for important advice.