Waste and Recycling Collection
|North Yunderup, Furnissdale, Barragup, Pinjarra Road (from Serpentine River to Tonkin Drive), Ravenswood, Murray Bend||Monday|
|Coolup, Point Grey, Birchmont, West Coolup and Herron Point, East Coolup, Dwellingup, Meelon, Greenlands Road (from SW Highway), Carrabungup Road (continuing from Greenlands Rd), Paterson Road (from SW Hwy to Old Mandurah Rd), Canterbury Downs, Old Sarum Estate, Settlers Village, Corio Road, Old Mandurah Road||Tuesday|
|South Yunderup¸ Thomasfield Place||Wednesday|
|Pinjarra Townsite, West Pinjarra, Beacham Road, Curtis Lane, Moores Road, Pinjarra Road (from SW Highway to Tonkin drive), Pinjarra Industrial Area||Thursday|
|North Pinjarra, South West Highway (nth of North Pinjarra), Fairbridge, Morrell Road, Wades Road, North Dandalup, Yamba, Hines Road, Nambeelup, Stake Hill, Lakelands (off Lakes Road)¸ Lakes Road, Paterson Road (nth of Old Mandurah Road), Del Park Road||Friday|
Waste and recycling collections will occur on all public holidays (excluding Christmas).
Changes to General Waste Bin Lids
Our contractor Cleanaway will be changing the colour of your general waste bin lid as part of a WA Waste Authority funded initiative which will ensure we comply with the required Australian Standard.
The changeover program will commence on 11 February 2019, taking approximately 6-8 weeks to cover the whole of the Shire of Murray.
To ensure the changeover takes place as smoothly as possible:
- On collection days from 11 February 2019 leave your bins out on the verge until 5:00pm until your lid colour has been changed
- Continue to use your bin as you normally would
If for any reason your bin lid has not been changed by 31 March 2019 or if you have any questions about the change, please call the Shire’s Waste Management team on (08) 9531 7777.
All existing lids will be recycled and the material will be used in the manufacture of new bins.
- Place your bins on the verge by 6.00am on the day of your collection.
- Place your bins at least half a metre apart with the wheels facing your property and within one (1) metre of the road.
- Place bins away from cars, trees, power poles and other obstructions.
General Waste Bin
- Emptied weekly on the designated collection day for your area.
- Freeze odorous waste and place into the bin the night before collection.
- Ensure the lid is closed and the bin weighs less than 70kg.
- Place lawn clippings into a bag to prevent jamming in the bin.
- Return bins to your property as soon as possible after emptying.
The following items are NOT to be placed in your general waste bin:
- Oil or liquids.
- Hot ashes.
- Bricks and concrete.
- Emptied every second week on your normal rubbish collection day.
- Place items loose in the recycling bin (not in plastic bags.)
Items to be placed in your recycling bin:
- Glass bottles and jars – lids removed, clean and empty
- Plastic bottles and containers – lids removed, clean and empty
- Drink cartons
- Paper and cardboard – flattened
- Steel and aluminium cans
The following items are NOT to be placed in your recycling bin:
- Plastic bags
- Green or food waste
- Clothing or shoes
- Glassware or crockery
- Aerosol cans
Recycle Bin Upgrade
Residents who have a 240L recycle bin have the option to upgrade to a 360L recycle bin. There is a one-off fee of $40.00 to upgrade and payment is required prior to the changeover, however, there is no additional ongoing cost to have the upgraded bin.
To arrange an upgrade, please download the Application for Upgrade to 360L Recycle Bin or contact the Shire on (08) 9531 7777.
Application for Upgrade to 360L Recycle Bin
New, Damaged or Missed Bins
For all enquiries regarding new, damaged, stolen or missed bins please contact the Call Centre on 08 9550 4744.
Disposal of Other Items
The following can be placed in the collection bins at the Murray Library Forrest Street Pinjarra and they will be sent away for recycling:
- Dry cell household batteries.
- Ink cartridges.
- Mobile phones and accessories.
The Shire of Murray provides two green waste and one hard waste verge collection per annum.
(If on a mobile device please place your finger on the table below and scroll to the left to see second green waste and junk, whitegoods and metal collection dates.)
|Area||Suburbs||Green Waste 1||Green Waste 2||Junk, Whitegoods and Metal|
|1||Pinjarra, North Pinjarra, West Pinjarra, Dwellingup, Meelon||15 October – 19 October 2018||18 March – 22 March 2019||21 January – 25 January 2019|
|2||Furnissdale, Barragup, North Yunderup, South Yunderup, Ravenswood, Murray Bend||22 October – 26 October 2018||25 March – 29 March 2019||28 January – 1 February 2019|
|3||Coolup, West Coolup, Birchmont, Yamba, North Dandalup, Nambeelup, Stake Hill||29 October – 2 November 2018||1 April – 5 April 2019||4 February – 8 February 2019|
- Place your waste on your own verge by Monday 6.00am BUT no earlier than seven (7) days prior to the scheduled start date for your area.
- Allow 5 – 7 days for your collection.
- Do NOT obstruct the footpath, your normal bin service or the line of sight of pedestrians, cyclists and cars.
- Do NOT place your waste next to structures or obstructions such as letter boxes, walls,
power poles or sprinklers.
- Verge collections are provided to residential properties which receive a weekly bin service.
- Litter infringement notices may be issued for non-compliance with collection guidelines or where waste is placed on the verge more than seven (7) days prior to the scheduled start date for each area.
- Waste will not be collected from vacant properties or public reserves.
Green Waste Collection
- Place your green waste into a neat pile on your verge with the cut ends towards the street the equivalent of two 6’ x 4’ trailer loads or three cubic metres only. Excess waste will not be removed.
- Do NOT bundle or tie your green waste.
- Do NOT present your green waste in plastic bags or boxes.
The following items WILL be collected:
- Tree and shrub prunings up to 1.5m in length and 300mm in diameter.
The following items WILL NOT be collected:
- Prunings longer than 1.5m or larger than 300mm in diameter.
- Weeds, palms and root materials.
- Sand and soil materials.
- Dug out lawn.
- General rubbish, junk or metals.
Junk, Whitegoods and Metal Collection
- Place bulk rubbish in two separate piles the equivalent of two 6’ x 4’ trailer loads or three cubic metres only. Excess waste will not be removed.
- Doors must be removed from fridges and freezers
Please note: the truck collecting whitegoods and metal products is a separate truck from the general junk collection vehicle.
The following items WILL be collected:
- Whitegoods (fridges, stoves etc)
- Scrap metal.
- Timber products (up to 1.5m in length.)
- General junk.
The following items WILL NOT be collected:
- Green waste.
- Tyres or batteries.
- Asbestos products.
- Car bodies or vehicle parts.
- Bricks or building rubble.
- Hazardous materials (paints, chemicals, oil or gas cylinders.)
Waste Transfer Stations
The Shire of Murray operates two Waste Transfer Stations located at 834 Corio Road Ravenswood and Holyoake Road (off Pinjarra-Williams Road) Dwellingup.
Corio Road Transfer Station enquiries: 0435 907 214
Closed Good Friday and Christmas Day.
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 9.00am – 5.00pm
drumMUSTER collection site
Wednesday & Friday 3.00pm – 5.00pm
Saturday and Sunday 1.00pm – 5.00pm
The following items are recyclable and are accepted free of charge:
- Household recyclables.
- Engine oil (up to 20 litres.)
- Scrap metal.
- Paper and cardboard.
- Car batteries.
- Gas bottles.
Asbestos is NOT accepted at either Transfer Station but can be disposed of at the following facilities:
- City of Mandurah Waste Management Centre (08 9582 0147)
- Shire of Waroona Buller Road Refuse Site (0409 374 153 )
- City of Rockingham Millar Road Landfill (08 9528 8550)
Fees will apply. Please contact the relevant facility prior to disposal for important advice.
Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste
Residential quantities are able to be disposed of free of charge at the City of Mandurah Waste Management Centre, Corsican Place, Parklands.
Household Hazardous Waste Program Flyer
Effective from 1 September, 2017 Shire of Murray residents owning or renting a property that receive a weekly waste service are eligible for free access to the Shire’s Transfer Stations.
This initiative provides Shire of Murray residents with the opportunity to improve the general amenity of our beautiful region, keeping properties and roads free of illegal dumping and excess clutter.
>Transfer Station access is restricted to household quantities, monitored by a property identification pass for ratepayers and residents to access either facility.
>Passes will be attached to the rates notice sent annually to eligible landowners.
Residents who rent a property will be able to collect an identification pass from the Shire’s Administration Office upon providing proof of their residence i.e. drivers licence or utility bill no older than three months.
Residents of properties that do not receive a weekly waste service will be entitled to purchase an identification pass by providing proof of residence as above.
> Pass must be presented to the gate attendant or a fee will incur
> Pass is not transferable as it contains specific informationabout each property
> Pass entitles the holder to dispose of up to 1.5m³ per visit ofgeneral or green waste from their own property free of charge
> Loads larger than 1.5m³ will incur the appropriate fee andloads larger than 3m³ will not be accepted
> Maximum of four tyres (passenger/motorcycle/4WD) perentry
> Loads to be segregated and unloaded as directed by attendant
> Pass will not be accepted for the disposal of any typeof waste from small or commercial business operators.
> Standard gate fees will apply