The Shire of Murray is seeking comment on a proposal to reduce the number of Councillors from nine to eight, commencing from the October 2021 Ordinary Local Government Election.
In order to consider the proposal, residents are presented with the information below:
- Reduction of approximately $22,000 per annum that would become available to the community
- Each election will be more competitive and potentially promote the highest quality of Councillor
- Reduced administration requirements through the preparation of documentation and training
- One less Councillor available to engage with the public
- The Shire will grow from 18,000 to 50,000 in the next 20 years
- There will be eight Councillors, meaning that some votes could be tied, with the deciding vote made by the Shire President
Submissions should be lodged online via the Shire’s YourSay Portal or emailed to mailbag@murray. wa.gov.au. Written submissions should be addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Murray, PO Box 21, Pinjarra WA 6208.
Submissions close Thursday 28 November, 2019.
Chief Executive Officer