Taylor’s Store

The store, founded by William Taylor in 1897, helped to kick off one of the oldest family businesses in Western Australia.

The Railway Brings Growth

During the early 1890s the W.A. Government, under Sir John Forrest, embarked on a major railway building program to provide better connection and communication across the state. The rail line from Perth to Bunbury reached Pinjarra in 1893 and brought with it new economic opportunity and new people, including Mr Taylor.

1897 Pinjarra featured few businesses, with many farmers selling direct to residents. Mr Taylor saw an opportunity and bought two blocks of land next to the Exchange Hotel. He built the shop on the land now occupied by Miss Adam’s House, but in 1906 the building burnt down. The present shop and attached residence were built soon after.

Taylor branched out opening general stores in Coolup, Marrinup and Holyoake.

Pinjarra Community Culture Mural

The mural on the southern side of the store is an ongoing art series which utilises the efforts of local school children, artists and aboriginal elders.

The first mural was painted in 2003 and focused on Pinjarra’s history and heritage.

This second mural was finished in 2015 and represents what makes Pinjarra great, featuring strong representations of culture, industry and heritage.


Next Place

Miss Adam’s House