About Food and Liquor

New Food Premises

For those considering opening a new food business, it is best to discuss your options with a staff member of the Shire’s Planning and Building Services team, to ensure you have the correct planning and building approvals in place. It is important that a site meeting is held with an Environmental Health Officer to discuss your proposal prior to the commencement of any work. There is no fee associated with this service.

An application for approval should be made in writing and submitted along with plans to the Shire’s Environmental Health Services. The plans should indicate the layout of the food premises and include the information detailed in the following form.

Food Businesses

Routine inspections are carried out by Shire of Murray’s Environmental Health Officers to ensure local food businesses comply with the Food Act, Regulations and Food Safety Standards. The inspections ensure high standards of hygiene are maintained so residents and visitors can safety enjoy food within healthy environments. Food sampling may also be undertaken at businesses that manufacture food locally, such as bakeries and butchers. The Food Act 2008 requires all food businesses that store, prepare, handle, serve or sell food to notify or register with their Local Authority.

You may inform the Shire of Murray of your intention to sell food by completing and submitting the Food Notification/Registration Form, with the relevant fee (see the latest Schedule of Fees and Charges), or contact the Health department at the Shire on (08) 9531 7777, or submit an online request. Notification and registration fees apply to all food businesses in which food is prepared or served to the general public for financial gain or reward. This fee is waived for not-for-profit organizations and community groups. Should the application be approved, a Certificate of Registration will be issued for your food business.

If you would like to operate a food business from a vehicle, which is kept at a property within the Shire of Murray, please complete a Food Notification/Registration Form and submit with relevant fees. A Certificate of Registration of the food vehicle will be issued once approval is granted, which will be required for the business to operate in another local authority’s district. For further information or to arrange for an inspection to be carried out, contact Environmental Health Services.

Liquor Licensing

A liquor license is required for any premises which sells liquor in accordance with the Liquor Control Act 1988. A license may be obtained from the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor (DRGL) which is the regulatory body. The Shire of Murray will be asked to provide comment to the DRGL on applications for new premises, as well as for amendments to existing licenses.

The DRGL website  provides information on the types of licenses available and how to apply for them. For advice on liquor licenses, contact the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor on 9425 1888 or email rgl@rgl.wa.gov.au

Further Information

Request Further Information