Public feedback is currently sought on an exciting proposal to re-develop Pinjarra’s former Exchange Hotel.
The proposal, submitted by the Strzelecki Group, includes the following key elements:
- Re-establishment of a hotel from the main building
- George Street frontage alfresco area and playground
- Rear beer garden overlooking the foreshore precinct
- Building expansions to accommodate for a front lounge, dining and back of house activities
- Provisions for pop-up markets
- Specialty shops
- Museum inclusive of the former accommodation section
- Retention of the building’s heritage components and intent to feature the components as part of the redevelopment
- Parking and service areas along the northern driveway
In addition, the proposal further includes the sale of the building portion of the site, excluding the Murray River Square and foreshore land.
Community feedback will play a vital role in ensuring the development reflects the community’s aspirations and expectations for the key site.
Submissions close Wednesday 9 October, 2019.
To view the proposal and supporting documentation visit yoursay.murray.wa.gov.au.
Pending Council’s endorsement as well as necessary industry approvals, construction on the hotel could commence in 2021, with completion anticipated for April 2022.
Conservation works undertaken by the Shire in early 2019 preserved the building’s heritage components, making it clear for prospective development proponents, the sections of the building that needed to be incorporated into future development.
The works further de-risked the site through the completion of structural repairs and re-roofing including the installation of new roof plumbing.
- Conservation works undertaken to preserve the building’s heritage elements including the 1866 Dr Bedingfeld cottage and the 1925 kitchen, dining and accommodation sections
- Developer/proponent sought
- Strzelecki Group selected as the preferred proponent – proposal to re-establish the hotel currently open for public comment
Proudly supported by Alcoa.
The Shire finalised the acquisition of the Exchange Hotel site located at Lots 85-88 George Street, Pinjarra in May 2012 to achieve a usable public riverfront foreshore within the Pinjarra Town Centre. Furthermore, the acquisition provided an opportunity for the Exchange Hotel site to be redeveloped in line with the rich, heritage fabric of the town.
Since the purchase of the Hotel site, the Shire has excised the foreshore and town square components of the property and made the respective area Reserve land to permanently protect these assets.
Council has also had a significant level of control over the development, to protect as much as possible, the heritage of the building, particularly a section dating back to 1866.
Investment in this key site has provided an opportunity to better integrate the river with the town centre.
The acquisition has also stimulated uses for private investment in the town that have the potential to support the district economy.
The building has been closed to trade since 2008.