The unsightly exterior of the former Exchange Hotel will be demolished and conservation works undertaken to preserve the building’s heritage elements including the 1866 Dr Bedingfeld cottage and the 1925 kitchen, dining and accommodation sections. Operator negotiations will continue to ensure the reopening of the building to once again become a befitting amenity of the Murray River Foreshore.
Proudly supported by: Alcoa
The Shire finalised the acquisition of the Exchange Hotel site located at Lots 85-88 George Street, Pinjarra in May 2012 to achieve a usable public riverfront foreshore within the Pinjarra Town Centre. Furthermore, the acquisition provided an opportunity for the Exchange Hotel site to be redeveloped in line with the rich, heritage fabric of the town.
Since the purchase of the Hotel site, the Shire has excised the foreshore and town square components of the property and made the respective area Reserve land to permanently protect these assets.
Council has also had a significant level of control over the development, to protect as much as possible, the heritage of the building, particularly a section dating back to 1866.
Investment in this key site has provided an opportunity to better integrate the river with the town centre.
The acquisition has also stimulated uses for private investment in the town that have the potential to support the district economy.
The building has been closed to trade since 2008.