Development Applications

Development approval is generally required if you wish to develop or alter the use of your land. Applications are assessed against the objectives of our planning framework.

Determine Whether Development Approval is Required

Consult the planning framework documents (Town Planning Scheme No.4, local planning policy and/or structure plan) relevant to your development type.

There are instances where development approval is not required. Given the relevant planning framework is complied with and the land and/or building is not affected by heritage requirements, the following do not require development approval:

  • House/dwelling
  • Extension of a single house
  • Outbuilding
  • Garage
  • Verandah
  • Patio
  • Carport
  • Swimming pool

Note: A building permit may still be required, even if your proposed development and/or land use is exempt from development approval.

We recommend touching base with a member of our Planning team to determine if development approval is required, even if your real estate agent or builder has advised otherwise.

Download an Application Form and Prepare Supporting Documents

Our checklist will help you prepare your application. Applications cannot be assessed by our planners until all the required information is received.

Application for Development Approval and Checklist

Submit Your Application to Us

In Person:

Please visit our Administration Office at 1915 Pinjarra Road, Pinjarra.

Bring along the:

  • Completed application form and checklist
  • Supporting documents
  • Payment - cash, card, cheque and money orders are accepted

Planning Fees and Charges

By Email:

Email your application to, including the:

  • Completed application form and checklist
  • Supporting documents

Payment: Once your application has been registered we will contact you to arrange payment.

Planning Fees and Charges

By Post:

Post your documents to PO Box 21, Pinjarra WA 6208.

Please ensure you include the:

  • Completed application form and checklist
  • Supporting documents
  • Preferred payment option - cheque or money orders are accepted

Planning Fees and Charges


Your application will be formally assessed against the requirements of our planning framework.

If an application cannot be determined within the first week, we will write to you acknowledging that we've received your application and provide contact details of the officer dealing with your application, the results of a preliminary assessment and a likely decision date.

In some cases, before a decision is made, it may be necessary to:

  • Request modified plans or additional supporting information
  • Refer the application to external government agencies such as the Department of Water
  • Seek feedback from nearby landowners or the general community


In most cases, we have 60 days to make a decision on your application if no public consultation is required and 90 days if it is.

The majority of development applications can be determined by our planners, however some will require referral to Council or a Development Assessment Panel.

Once a decision has been made, you will receive a letter advising of the application outcome including any conditions of approval or reasons for refusal and a set of endorsed plans.

It is important that you keep any approval issued by us, as it sets out the requirements that must be met in undertaking the development.

Why do I need development approval?

Generally speaking, development approval is required to ensure the amenity of your area or neighbourhood is not adversely affected by your proposed development and/or land use, to ensure orderly and proper development of the Shire.

How long does a development approval last?

The approval will generally lapse, if the development and/or land use has not been completed or substantially commenced within two years of the date of the approval.

In relation to a dwelling, substantially commenced means the slab has been laid and brickwork is up to plate height.

Development approval also runs with the land. For example, if a landowner was granted approval for a patio but didn’t build it before selling the house, the new owner can construct the patio as per the approved plans provided it is within the expiry date of the approval.

What if I’m dissatisfied with an application outcome?

If you are dissatisfied with a condition of approval or a decision to refuse your application, there may be a right to apply for a review of the decision.

The application for review must be lodged with the State Administrative Tribunal within 28 days of the decision date, with a copy of the application provided to us.

When would an application be referred to a Development Assessment Panel?

Applications for proposed developments valued over $10 million are assessed and determined by the Metropolitan South West Development Assessment Panel (DAP).

Each DAP consists of five panel members - three specialist members and two local government councillors.

In circumstances where applications have a value of between $2 million and $10 million, applicants are able to choose whether the application is to be assessed and determined by the DAP, Council or the Shire (under delegated authority).