The Exchange Hotel was originally constructed in c1866 for Dr Thomas Bedingfeld as his residence and medical offices.
In 1871, James Summer Greenacre purchased the lots from Dr Bedingfeld and opened the Exchange Hotel. Greenacre previously owned the Queen's Hotel, in which he transferred the licence to Dr Bedingfeld who subsequently moved into the Queen’s Hotel – hence the name the Exchange Hotel.
From 1871 to 2008, the site operated under private ownership as a tavern/hotel.
In 2008, the venue closed permanently and in 2012, the Shire acquired the site in response to the community’s concerns about the future of the site, its growing dilapidated state and resultant impact on the amenity of the town centre.
Since 2014, Council has sought proponents to redevelop the site into a food and beverage facility and in 2019 conservation works were completed to preserve the building’s heritage elements including the 1866 Dr Bedingfeld cottage and the 1925 kitchen, dining and accommodation sections.
The works clarified for prospective development proponents, the sections of the building that needed to be incorporated into future development and de-risked the site through the completion of structural repairs and re-roofing including the installation of new roof plumbing.
Four formal commercial proposals have been entertained over the years, the most recent in 2019 when Council entered into a conditional contract of sale with a prospective proponent, which due to COVID-19 did not proceed.
The loss of the ready-to-invest proponent encouraged Council to investigate other options to reactivate the site and demonstrate strategic leadership to secure an outcome that would benefit the local community and ensure economic sustainability of the Pinjarra town centre.
In October 2020, Council supported progressing detailed planning, feasibility and designs for the Shire of Murray to undertake the redevelopment of the former Exchange Hotel.