Miss Adam’s House

Miss Adam’s House is a landmark on George Street being built in an impressive interwar Old English Style. The house was built in 1932 for sisters Constance (b. 1881, d. 1934) and Clara (sometimes called Claire) (b. 1882, d. 1961). The sisters accepted boarders into the house, primarily school teachers working at the local school.

The Adam sisters are fondly remembered as being fiercely independent and capable women who were very active in the community having been involved with the CWA, Murray Horticultural Society and the St John’s Church, and in various fundraising campaigns for the local school, hospital and other social causes.

Miss Adam’s House is a landmark on George Street being built in an impressive interwar Old English Style. The house was built in 1932 for sisters Constance (b. 1881, d. 1934) and Clara (sometimes called Claire) (b. 1882, d. 1961). The sisters accepted boarders into the house, primarily school teachers working at the local school.

The Adam sisters are fondly remembered as being fiercely independent and capable women who were very active in the community having been involved with the CWA, Murray Horticultural Society and the St John’s Church, and in various fundraising campaigns for the local school, hospital and other social causes.

The sisters were talented home cooks and often won ribbons at the Royal Show for their preserved fruits and jams.

Niece, Elsie Logue (nee Adam) lived with her Aunt Clara in the late 1940s prior to her marriage to Douglas Logue in 1950 and then again in the 1960s with her young children after divorce. Being raised in the company of strong women, Elsie worked locally for several years, which was unusual for women at the time, before moving to Canberra. Elsie passed away in 2013.

Different Uses

Throughout the years the house has been used for many purposes including; beautician, government offices, travel agency and health care service provider.

Taylor’s First Shop

This property was the first site for Taylor’s Store before it burnt down in 1906. William Taylor rebuilt the store with attached house on the neighbouring property. The property was then used as a black smiths and farrier for many years before being sold off and demolished, with the Adam sisters then building their home.

Next Place

Cantwell Park