Litter is unsightly and can cause injury to people and wildlife. It also affects visual amenity and encourages further littering.
Ranger Services are responsible for enforcing the Litter Act 1979 in the district. Litter is considered any item left where it’s not meant to be, and includes:
- Incorrectly discarding rubbish in a public place;
- Dumping rubbish in reserves or vacant land;
- Depositing domestic or commercial waste in a public bin;
- Items escaping from an unsecured load;
- Posting publicity material (bill posting) in a public place or on a vehicle without the permission of the owner;
- Abandoning shopping trolleys or;
- Cigarette butt disposal.
Illegal dumping is a particular type of littering where people consciously dump their rubbish or unwanted goods. This can include minor items of rubbish dumped in streets, in parks or in building site bins or the tossing of unwanted items on vacant land or into the bush. This type of littering can result in fines being issued under the Litter Act 1979.
Serious illegal dumping includes trailers and trucks filled with various items and materials and offenders dumping them in an area where they believe the offence will go undetected such as National Parks, bushland reserves, parks, industrial/building sites, outside charity bins/stores and on road verges or median strips.
Serious illegal dumping is increasing and the Environmental Protection Act 1986 was recently amended to provide substantial penalties to address dumping offences. Offenders who illegally dump waste can face a penalty up to $250,000 or three years imprisonment for individuals and $500,000 for corporations.
Please contact the Ranger Services on 9531 7777 to report litter offences or alternatively contact the Keep Australia Beautiful Council WA on 1300 00 REPORT (1300 00 737 678). For serious illegal dumping offences please call the Department of Environment Regulation’s pollution watch hotline 1300 784 782 (24 hours) or email email@example.com.
Infringements can be issued under the Litter Act 1979 for the following matters:
- Littering creating public risk – $500.00
- Littering – any other litter – $200.00
- Breaking glass, metal or earthenware – $500.00
- Bill posting – $200.00
- Bill posting on a vehicle – $200.00
- Depositing of domestic or commercial waste in a public litter receptacle – $200.00
- Transporting load inadequately secured – $200.00
- Littering creating public risk – $2000.00
- Littering – any other litter – $500.00
- Breaking glass, metal or earthenware – $2000.00
- Bill posting – $500.00
- Bill posting on a vehicle – $500.00
- Depositing of domestic or commercial waste in a public litter receptacle – $500.00
- Transporting load inadequately secured – N/A
Please note: Litter infringements must be paid in full and by the due date. Otherwise the matter will be referred to the Fines Enforcement Registry and additional costs will apply.
If you need more time to pay or wish to dispute the infringement please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write a letter to us addressed to PO Box 21, Pinjarra WA 6208.