About Building Services

Under the Building act 2011 a building permit is required before commencement of most building work.  A permit is also required under the Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Act 1995, for works within a Caravan Park.

Formal approval (a building permit) is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels.  These include:

  • Swimming Pools and Spas
  • Sheds/Garages/Workshops
  • Patios/Verandahs/Gazebos/Pergolas
  • Retaining Walls
  • Dwellings/Granny Flats/Additions and Alterations
  • Commercial Buildings
  • Industrial and Public Buildings
  • Changes to levels (i.e. cut and/or fill)
  • Park Homes
  • Annexes

The Building Regulations 2012 details some building work for which a Building Permit is not required.  Please see our Building Forms and Information page for Exempted Building Permits.

If the total value of the work exceeds $20,000 (excluding swimming pools and retaining walls) a permit can only be issued to a Registered Builder or in some circumstances an Owner Builder.

Owner Builder application form and information can be downloaded here.

For Building application forms please click here.

Please contact Building Services direct on (08) 9531 7746 for further information.

Request Further Information